Design & Technology: Product Design
AS & A2
AS Level – 40% of the A level
50% Non Examined Assessment (NEA) 80 Marks: Design and Make task Approx 40 hours
Informal sketchbook. Formal Portfolio and Product
50% Examination (2.5 hours) 80 Marks: A mix of structured and extended writing questions to assess the understanding of:
– Core Technical Principles of Design
– Specialist Product Design Principles and Materials
– History of Design, Design decisions and wider issues in Design Technology
A2: Level (Year 2) 60% of the A Level
50% NEA 100 Marks: One design and make task based on a WJEC Contextual Challenge.
50% EXAM 100 Marks: A mix of structured and extended writing and design questions
With the wide skill set you will gain in Design Technology you can take the course in to many different academic and vocational careers.
The main areas of interest and career pathways for students are:
- Engineering (All types) Architecture
- Graphic or Fashion Design
- Product design & Manufacturing
- Computing and Technical Design
- Carpentry, Plumbing, Mechanics and Construction
- Product Development
- Buying and Selling
- Freelance Design
- Science and Maths
6 GCSE A* – C Grades.
Study of Art or DT GCSE is desirable but not essential. If no DT or Art GCSE then GCSE in Mathematics and English Grade C.