St David's offers both Level 3 (A Level and BTEC) and Level 2 (GCSE and BTEC) courses. Use the links below to find out more about each course we offer.
At Level 3, St David's offers BTEC, A Level and WJEC Vocational courses.
Typically, students will progress on from our Level 3 courses to university, internships, apprenticeships or employment.
At Level 2, St David's offers GCSE and BTEC courses.
Typically, students will progress on from our Level 2 courses, onto Level 3 courses. In this instance, students will be with us for three years.
Psychology is a fascinating subject which will allow students to understand human behaviour and the reasons why we behave in the ways that we do. There are various approaches to Psychology and during the course we will study key pieces of research and topics from a range of these areas including criminal behaviour, eye-witness testimony, phobias, Autism, relationships and therapies such as psychosurgery. Learners will also study research methods and develop existing numeracy skills by looking at data and analysing what it tells us about the human behaviour studied in research.
100% of this course is assessed by exam. The two AS exams count towards 40% of the overall A Level grade while the two A2 exams count towards the remaining 60%. Exams are sat in May/June each year.
UNIT 1: Psychology – Past to Present
This unit introduces five main psychological approaches including Biological, Behaviourist, Cognitive, Psychodynamic and Positive Psychology.
UNIT 2: Psychology – Using Psychological Concepts
This unit introduces psychological research methods including participant selection, conducting safe and ethical research, and design of psychological research studies. This unit also covers statistical analysis including interpretation and calculation of numerical data.
UNIT 3: Psychology – Implications in the Real World
Learners are expected to apply knowledge and understanding from Unit 1 to four human behaviours: Addictive, Autistic spectrum behaviours, bullying behaviours, criminal behaviours and Schizophrenia. Students will also study five controversial issues in Psychology.
UNIT 4: Psychology – Applied Research Methods
This unit further develops student understanding of research methods studied at AS, including the practical application of two research methods to class based Psychological research studies where students gather data and interpret its meaning.
The study of Psychology at A Level is useful for a diverse range of university courses and careers including: clinical psychologist, forensic and criminal psychology, counselling, mental health nursing, lecturer in Psychology, social worker and educational psychology.
6 GCSEs A* - C. At least one grade B in GCSE Science and grade C in GCSE Mathematics are required. Grade C or above in GCSE English Language is recommended.
You will be able to apply for this course at interview.